There are a lot of reason why one would need to access internet trough a VPN.
For example if you live in a country blocking certain contents (like anti-local-government website, porn, etc) and/or protocols (like skype, voip) you would probably want to move your internet connectivity outside the nasty blocking country by using encrypted VPN tunnels.
I evaluated several hosted VPN server and a couple of them sounds quite good among the widespread offering of such services:
Exit to the internet from Switzerland.
Cost 6 CHF / months
Optional public fixed IP address
Useful if you need:
- Just bypass local country filters with good high bandwidth
- Expose public services trough the VPN with the optional fixed public IP address.
Exit to the internet by choosing among 20 different countries (each time you connect).
Useful if you need to do:
- business intelligence on competitor (appearing to come from country X when connecting them)
- see film/telefilm allowed only from national IP web spaces
- see google results among different countries